Continuous Professional Development Committee
Role of the Continuous Professional Development Committee:
- Develop policies and procedures that govern all educational programs endorsed by IFEM
- Develop procedures to evaluate and certify Continuing Professional Development offerings of IFEM
- Development of programming for Emergency Medicine health professionals
- Monitor educational programs endorsed by IFEM to ensure that they meet the vision and standards set by IFEM, and periodically make recommendations to the Board to modify policy
- Develop the terms of reference and operational procedures for the ICEM venue selection committee, which will be a subcommittee of the CPD Committee
- Strike an IFEM Liaison committee to collaborate in ICEM meeting development
- Oversee new educational programs endorsed by IFEM including, but not limited to symposia, on-line programs, and clinical practice guidelines
- Provide leadership and advice to the IFEM Board on any matters related to continuing professional development including continuing education credits, educational theory, best practices in COI and copyright, and other matters arising.
Dr Constance LeBlanc | Chair
Canadian Association for Emergency Medicine
Dr Constance LeBlanc is a staff Emergency Physician, Associate Dean for Continuing Professional Development, and Professor in the Department of Emergency Medicine at Dalhousie University in Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada. She holds a Master of Arts in Education and has over two decades of clinical experience in tertiary care Emergency Medicine. Her commitment to ED education and how we can impact patient care through education underscores all of her work. She welcomes learners across the continuum of medical education from undergraduates to practicing physicians. Her perspective that our specialty is one of “master problem solvers” coupled with her unbridled enthusiasm for all that she does, make learning from or working with her a truly unique experience.
Connie believes that ED docs are weird and unique and that we live life in a way ordinary folks often don’t, perhaps due to the nature of our work- this is something to celebrate!
Work and achievements
The IFEM Continuous Professional Development Committee has worked hard to develop applications for ICEM meetings, oversight committees for ICEM meetings and a handbook to guide programme developers. We are now working with the Special interest Groups to revive the symposia in a way that will benefit both IFEM and its constituents.